I do this for Anne and myself often. I have to admit to using some shortcuts (pre-prepped veggies). But it’s a dish were I get to cooking quickly and have a good meal with minimal effort. We often eat it by itself or over pasta.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (6 links)
- 10 - 12 tomatoes diced (or 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes).
- 4 bell peppers (or 2 bags frozen peppers and onions (might be tabled “stir fry’).
- 1 large onion, diced (if you’re using the bags in step 3, you don’t need it).
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced (or 3 tbs dried garlic).
- 3 tbs Italian seasoning
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to tasts
- Preheat a #10 (12”) cast iron skillet with medium low heat.
- When skillet is hot, add 2 turns of olive oil.
- Add sausage to skillet brown for 4 or 5 mins on all sides.
- Slice the sausage into bit sizes pieces (I do this for 2 reasons, I like adding some of the fennel to the sauce and it allows me to skim some of the grease to make this a little healthier).
- Add the peppers and onions, cook down for a few minues
- Add tomatoes, cook down for a few mins
- Add the Italian seasoning and garlic.
- As this all cooks, you’ll start to get liquid from the ingredients, let it simmer for 45 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Skim some of the grease so it doesn’t wind up in your arteries.
- Serve over Pasta, Rice or on a Roll.
- The photo was does using Anne’s Father’s #8 Le Creuset. I didn’t realize it was a #8 until I was far into the dish so I had to hold back on some peppers. Still eats good.
- Don’t limit this to sausage, the same technique can be used with chicken, beef, or other proteins
Share and Enjoy!