Spent a half hour this morning reading the competing conspiracy theories about the rouge firework displays we’ve been seeing across the country. I have to admit that sometimes the conspiracy theories are better than the actual fireworks. If I have my tin foil lined conspiracy hat on, I think it might be Shapeshifting Lesbian Reptoid Nuns from Planet-X. But as I remove that hat let me lay out a more realistic scenario:
- Fireworks celebration planning begins a year in advance. In order to produce the explosives they need, fireworks companies begin producing fireworks on July 5.
- Fireworks have a limited lifespan. The longer any piece of ammo exists, the more likely it is to have a failure due to physical damage or moisture. So holding onto fireworks for an additional year is probably less than safe.
- Due to Covid-19 a lot of firework shows have been cancelled. I’m not talking the super-professional shows that are televised, but the smaller shows that are in our town squares and over our ponds across the country. The ones that use middle tier ordnance.
- Fireworks manufactures across the county have a glut of inventory, which they need to liquidate. So they are selling it for pennies on the dollar in legal, quasi-legal and maybe underground markets
- Heck it might not the companies pushing it to the underground market. Many people fled the cities at the beginning of Covid and might be just heading back now…. Buying fireworks from states where they are legal and brining them home for fun and profit.
- People, especially teens and young adults have been cooped up for months, are looking to get into trouble and have access to cheaper fireworks. Kids in that age group always know somebody who knows somebody who can get get fireworks.
I know some people are blaming the Cops, BLM, The CIA, The Shadow Government, The Chinese or Shapeshifting Lesbian Reptoid Nuns from Planet-X. But I prefer to blame basic supply and demand economics.